Is it s'mores season? Not quite. Do I care? Nope. One does not need a time of year for s'mores. We should all embrace the fact that a s'mores sweet biscuity crunch, dark chocolately ganache and toasty melty campfire marshmallow vibes are ALWAYS acceptable.
The definition for a s'more is:
"Abbreviation for "some more," a campfire treat consisting of toasted marshmallow, graham crackers, and chocolate."
Maybe an outdoor campfire doesn't sound like fun in a British setting so here's an indoor friendly recipe that can be concocted without the risk of an open bonfire in your living room.
...and not that it's essential, but these bars are gluten and dairy free plus totally vegan! They don't HAVE to be but for the purpose of catering to my family's awkward health requirements/preferences. No animals were disturbed in the making of these delicious campfire treats.
Gooey Ganache S'mores bars.
What you'll need:
1. Get the campfire (oven) stoked up to 175°C then line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Get out your blender/nutri-blitzer-ma-bob and put into it the: Oats, almonds & sugar. Blitz to a fine crumb.
3. To the crumb, add the melted coconut oil and blitz a bit more to combine fully.
4. Add the pecans & dried fruit and give a few more pulses just to chop them up into chunks.
5. Pour the crumb into the lined loaf tin and tap dat thang down with the back of a spoon until its a flat, compressed, solid base.
Once sufficiently compressed & even, whap it in the oven to bake for 5-10 minutes.
6.Whilst you base bakes, let's get started on that ganache:
7.Get a medium sized bowl to hold the chocolate. Get a separate small bowl and pour in the almond milk. Heat up the almond milk for 30s in the microwave, then gradually pour the almond milk onto the chocolate, leave it sitting for a little until it begins to melt the chocolate.
8. Add the melted coconut oil then stir until it's all melted. Stop stirring and rest this for 5 minutes (this is your cue for cheeky cup of tea).
9.Use a whisk or fork to beat the chocolatey ganache for like 2 minutes. Add half the marshmallows.
10.Time to get your smooth on by spooning and spreading the ganache topping onto the base you made earlier. For best results listen to some throwback R&B music.
11. Top this off with the rest of the marshmallows, then place it all back on the top shelf of the oven for 5 minutes to just toast those little marshmallows to the campfire perfection they were born to be (careful, they can burn easily).
Leave to cool, then set them in the fridge for at least 1hour whilst you and your summer camp fire pals get your campfre attire on.
12. Whack them out the fridge, fish them out the loaf tin, and cut them into little bars. and BOOM, summer campfire s'morsey vibes all year round in a handy delicious and convenient form.
YOU. ARE. WELCOME.
Take a sip from the cup of my mind, and let the thoughts brew...