The crunch of snow under your boots is a delightful wintery sound. A harsh chill of a winter gale on the other hand, is a sorry-enough sound to justify staying warm indoors and enjoying an alternative and even more delightful crunch....
.....The sound of crunchy homemade granola.
So, Why Granola?
1. It's quick
2. it's easy
3. it's creatively adaptable
4. It makes me feel like a wholesome cooking pro without actually requiring much time effort or ingredients.
5. It's freaking delicious and there are many ways to use it!- Which I have kindly listed below
Here are my TWO favourite Granola recipes to try....
Banana nut fig
What you'll need:
..This is what I love most about granola creation- you can switch up, add in and enhance it with whatever you find in your cupboard that you might like: pecans, chia seed, raisins, freeze dried berries, even EGG WHITES..the list goes on! All you've got to do is make sure you've got a good texture. The mixture should be clumped enough together to form 'clusters'. Too dry? Add a dash more coconut oil/syrup/mashed banana/water. Too wet? Add more oats/ dry ingredients! Simples.
9. Adjust the mixture accordingly until consistency is how you need it
10. Spread the mixture out on a parchment lined baking sheet and pat it down with the back of your wooden spoon so it kind of compresses into an adorable splat of pre-granola goodness (see picture above)
11. Place the tray on the middle oven shelf and PUT A TIMER ON for about 10minutes
12. after 10, use your sppoon to hustle and bustle unp the granola so it breaks up into clumps, re-spread it out and put it back in the oven to continue to crisp
13. keep doing this '5-10minute-teabreak-check-hustlebustle' until your granola is suitably crisp for your liking!
14. Remove from oven add dried fruit then leave to cool.
15. Feel proud- Think of how much you have achieved and how excited you are to enjoy the fruits of your labour
16. Instagram your creation (mandatory)
....And now for recipe number Two. Essentially the same but different flavour achieved by an additional grain, coconut and maple syrup!
What you'll need:
Not that this granola isn't perfect just to chomp as is or that you need too much guidance with your eating habits but here are a few ways to fully embrace your new lease of life....
How to enjoy:
Or just in it's purist form- with a splash of icy cold milk.
I'd love to see your granola creations so be sure to holler at me with your mad baking skills!
ps. I acpet no responsibility for any housefires, burns or granola induced mobs that occur as a result of this recipe.